Wednesday, June 2, 2010

DISCLAIMER:
I'm a list maker. It's what I do. If you shuffle through my phone, you'll find a hearty 'to do' list (as in errands. Not people. Pervs.), 'to watch' list, 'to listen' list, and a 'to read' list. If you go through any kind of scholastic notebook I own, you'll find pages riddled with 'favorite _____' lists in every one. There is no better thought organizer than lists.

This being said, I want you to know how hard I am trying to be a responsible blog owner. I feel like responsible blog owners express themselves in paragraph form, and only use lists as filler blogs for rare occasions.
I'll tell you now, I do not think my fate as a blogger falls under that "responsible blog owner" file. I will abuse the unspoken list rule with this blog, and that is a promise. I love lists.

Alright, since we've discussed this situation, now I can sleep at night, and also get on with this particular blog. You guessed it you ol' chum, a list blog. This time, of things that I'm loving more and more as the days go by.


Fact: If you aren't spending all conscious hours listening to Mumford and Sons, you might be an idiot.
(Big thanks to Mr. Foxworthy for that headline.)

Fresh out of London, it seems as though Mumford and Sons came to the US by storm; their sad, folky, irish drinking-esque songs in hand. I dare you to listen and tell me you don't like it. With songs like, "The Cave" and "White Blank Page," these boys continuously break my heart, only to lift my spirits again with the next track change. For that, I thank them.
Below are some acoustic tracks, which are fast becoming my favorite recordings of these songs.
Have a listen. Please.


But what I REALLY want to do is sing.
One of my least favorite things: When great actors think they can be great singers. Generally to that I say: No. No you cannot.
One of my favorite things: When those actors prove me wrong.

Below are three examples of my flawed logic.

Dead Man's Bones
Ryan Gosling, world's most successful lady killer, and friend Zach Shields started this band in 2008. Two years ago, all the fellas had to offer was the video below, alongside a slightly less impressive video entitled, "Where You Sleep." In October 2009, they released a full length album of semi-spooky tunes, backed with Silverlake Conservatory Children's Choir group vocals.
Fun fact: In the studio- anything that took over three takes to get right, got the boot. I love that. And this:


She and Him
It was no secret that Zooey Deschanel has an incredible voice. Chances are, if you've seen any of her major-release movies, you've also heard her voice, due to brainy directors milking the girl for every ounce of talent she's got. In 2008, Deschanel paired up with M. Ward to make a "for fun" album titled Volume One. This album was a major success, which eventually led to the duo making a second volume-released earlier this year.
I envy her jazzy, vintage vocal stylings. Also, she's beautiful. How annoying.



Coconut Records
My favorite of the three, Mr. Jason Schwartzman. Starting out in 'the biz' as a musician, this guy went from drumming in Phantom Planet, to acting, to solo side-projecting while acting. Coconut Records' first album, "Nighttiming" was released in 2007, and featured some guest vocals from Kirsten Dunst and Zooey Deschanel. In 2009, his second album "Davy" was released. Blah, blah, blah, boring facts, boringfactsboringfactsboringfacts. I love him. This man can do no wrong.


I am a waiter like Einstein was a Patent Clerk.
Alright, alright. Moving away from music...another thing that I can get enough of: a little show called "Party Down."
In it's second season now, Party Down is fast becoming an all-time favorite.
The premise of the show: aspiring actors/writers working as caterers in LA to pay the bills until they hit the big time. Hilarity ensues.
With a cast that includes Adam Scott, Ken Marino, Jane Lynch, Martin Starr, and now Megan Mullally-and recurring appearances by JK Simmons, Ken Jeong, and Kristen Bell, you've got to AT LEAST be intrigued. Not to mention the fact that the show's end credits read names like Paul Rudd, Fred Savage, Rob Thomas and Bryan Gordon.
Oh. Did my name dropping not entice you? Here. How about the show's second season trailer:


Would you like a season one clip also? Alright. You've convinced me.


Okay. That's all I have for you right now, folks.
Until next time, happy...hunting, I suppose.

No comments:

Post a Comment